If you are interested in starting a conference, feel free to contact Jim Claffey in the Central Council’s Extension and Formation Department at (516) 822-3132 or e-mail us at email@example.com.
Here are some basic steps to take when considering starting a Conference:
- Get your pastor’s permission.
- Contact the Council of Rockville Centre’s Extension and Formation Department to schedule a “recruitment drive”, which will help you acquire new Vincentian members. Make sure to ask your pastor and others to personally invite prospective members to join you.
- Schedule a follow-up meeting for those who expressed an interest in joining. During this short, informal meeting, prospective members will learn what types of work members of a St. Vincent de Paul conference do within their local communities.
- Elect a president and appoint officers.
- Meet at least twice each month.
- Serve your brothers and sisters in need in a spirit of love, with prayer and meditation for spiritual growth and guidance in your service efforts.
If you feel called to live the Gospel through service to God’s poor, hungry and lonely, and to do so with love and humility, the Society of St. Vincent de Paul may be the home for you.